Isles of Scilly Community Enterprise
Salary: £55-60k (depending on experience)
Location: Isles of Scilly
Contract period: 1 year, with option to extend
Closing date: 30 July 2017
We’re looking for a senior professional from the energy sector to lead our newly formed non-profit, the Isles of Scilly Community Enterprise. This is a fantastic opportunity to support an island community in its transition to a zero-carbon future.
The Community Enterprise is vital to channelling the benefits of local energy generation to consumers and to facilitating the wider rollout of renewables, energy efficiency and smart energy technologies. The organisation will become the manager of publically funded assets, such as solar generation, storage, and electric vehicle charging infrastructure. It is a key element in achieving the goals of the Isles of Scilly’s Smart Islands initiative, an ambitious energy and infrastructure project.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, skilled at communicating complex technical issues on an executive level as well as with the general public. You will have an excellent understanding of renewables and future energy systems and be able to liaise and negotiate successfully with partner organisations including the Distribution Network Operator, licensed supplier partner and the regulator.
This is a hands-on role and the successful candidate must be comfortable getting down to detail, developing business cases for investment, negotiating and managing contracts and clearly articulating the benefits to the community and the wider UK.
The General Manager will lead local stakeholders towards the achievement of the Smart Islands vision of long term energy self-sufficiency, working closely with partner organisations leading the Smart Islands Programme. The role will also involve:
- Leading the joint development of an innovative local supply model with a partner licensed supplier representing the interests of Island consumers
- Driving community and business engagement
- Developing and maintaining relationships with public and private funders, identifying and bidding into relevant public and private funding sources
- Managing the transition of the Isles of Scilly Community Enterprise into a Community Interest Company, including the development of the governance structure
- Overseeing financial reporting of the company and ensuring compliance with funders’ requirements.
You will have:
- A track record of successfully delivering a technology project in a complex stakeholder environment in the energy industry.
- Experience in developing compelling products.
- A thorough understanding of retail electricity arrangements in the UK
- Experience of working on innovation projects within the energy industry is preferred.
- Detailed knowledge across a range of renewable generation technologies and/or electricity networks. Expertise will be a plus.
- Experience working for a non-profit organisation and/or advising on community energy projects will be an advantage.
For an informal discussion about the role, please call Anna Wieckowska on 07786 523 533 or email email@example.com.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org